Synthetic fibres (a pledge and a WIP)

Today I was reading a post by Fadanista, who was making a more environmentally-friendly alternative to a fleece jacket from a vintage pattern.

In it she mentions the issue of man-made (i.e. synthetic materials like fleece, nylon, acrylic, etc.) and the negative impact these can have on the environment (as well as on the people wearing them). Apart from the production of such materials, which come from oil basically, one of the key issues is the tiny particles and lints that such garments release in the waterways while being washed and treated. In her post, she mentions some interesting articles and sources (like this one from the Guardian – please visit her blog for more links).

These particles ending up in our waters and oceans, are ultimately contaminating water, as well as are being swallowed by fish and so ending up in the food chain (= on our tables).

I now feel really bad because I know that I have some synthetic yarn and fabric in my stash (not much, but still). There is no good way of dealing with it:

  • if I pass it on, it will still end up in the water
  • if I consign it to the bin, it will end up in landfills where it won’t break down (unlike natural fibres)
  • if I burn it, it will still release polluting fumes (like all oil products)

As she suggested, the only good option may be to “leave it alone” at the bottom of the stash.

Still, I think it’s a good time to have a conversation in the crafting communities about man-made fibres and their ill effects on health and environment. I think of the inexpensive craft packs that are being used in large quantities – the end product may look pretty, but it has a hidden nasty side effect: it pollutes our environment.

So, today I pledge to try and avoid using synthetic fibres as much as possible. I hope others will join in!

~ ~ ~

On the bright side, I had just decided to bring some order to my UFOs queue. There aren’t too many items in there (about five, I think)… still it’s worth dealing with them – do something with them or reuse the yarn.

The first I picked up, is this summer top: Sea top (Ravelry project). It’s made of aran silk and based on Simple Irresistible, a free pattern that I slightly tweaked.

I looked at it again: after measuring the part I had so far (about 1/3) it looks that I casted on too many stitches and is now too large for my size M (even allowing some positive ease for a more flowing line). Despite that, I decided to carry on, because:

  • so I can actually have a better idea of how to alter it the next time around
  • it’s a quick knit, so it’s ok to do extra rows, even if I frog it in the end
  • I’m curious to see how it is in its current version

I’m still expecting to most probably ending up at the frog pond!

A few shots of the top short before it was put on hold… I’ve now added more rows to it and started a new skein. The yarn is an aran silk in Seaweed (one-off stock), it’s soft, drapey and shiny.

There are many other things I wanted to share, but I will leave them for the next posts… one will be about some vintage lace gloves and how they went to some period dances in grand halls.

Until then, take good care x

 

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Advertisements

oṃ

I woke up with good intentions of taking my projects further. I recently read about the zen wisdom of doing one thing at a time, so I was determined to work on each project with my full attention and don’t let my mind wander off in the meanwhile. I put all my effort in being in the HERE AND NOW, attending to the task slowly and deliberately – despite anxiety trying to sneak in.

After some knitting on my Thistle scarf (remember it?), I found out at the end of a row that I had an extra stitch with no apparent reason. I checked the row and all seemed fine. So do I painfully unravel the lace or bodge it? The peril of not unravelling is that the pattern may not match well – if the stitch would result in a shift in the pattern. I’m now in a bit of a dilemma. While I was looking at the work to figure out what happened with the stitch… horror… I saw a wee hole developing in the middle of the work! a stitch must have dropped or something. No idea, because when I last blocked and observed it, it was all fine?

I decided to put it aside and calmly think about these. I am firmly determined not to let this disappoint my day! Om, is the mantra. Oooom. All is well 🙂

Early today, I also thought about the upcycling projects using the charity stuff the mouse kindly got. I was battled between doing something I see fit and something that people may find interesting. I think this is often a bloggers’ dilemma: what would people enjoy reading about? In the end, I came to the conclusion that this is a blog about things I do, so it should truthfully reflect my inclinations, rather than trying to please readership. Obviously, it would be great if what I do makes for an interesting reading 😉

I want to make some useful items, so I will use the yarn for an anti-draught snake (American spelling is draft), creating my own pattern inspired by real-life snakes. In case you also wish to save on heating bills and help the environment, I found a great page with over 15 draft-stoppers made using different crafts. There are some really cool free ideas there (cute creatures like cats, dogs, snakes, a tree branch – knit, crochet or sewing), go and have a look!

A few more cute draft stoppers: